Best project management certifications. Project Management is very important to the success of an organization. The outcome of a project affects the success of the organization that is why it is necessary to have a professional project manager overseeing the projects and the team involved.
Best Project Management Certifications
To become an expert project manager you have to gain several project management certifications. The skills and knowledge will help in enhancing your overall performance in handling several project challenges.
If you’re interested in becoming a successful project manager in your field you can start by searching for the best project management certifications.
However, we have made this easy for you by providing a list of the best project management certifications you can earn, read on.
What is Project Management?
According to Wikipedia, they define project management as the process of leading the work of a team to achieve all project goals and within the given constraint.
Project Management is the method of using your knowledge, skill, expertise, and experience to handle and achieve specific project objectives according to the project brief within a given time frame and parameter.
What are Project Management Certifications?
Project Management Certifications are industry-recognized and approved credentials that serve as proof of your skills, expertise, and competency in successfully handling projects.
You can get project Management Certifications after you have done some project management courses, written, and passed some assessments. Basically, there are project management recognized and accredited educational platforms, which present the certification to you oversee the programs.
Why Are Project Management Certifications Important?
Project Management Certifications give you the skills, knowledge, and professional background to excel in any field you choose. It provides unbiased evidence of project management expertise and knowledge.
It shows the high level of dedication and commitment you have towards project management as a profession.
Project Management Certifications show to your employers you’re competent in leading a team, planning, execution, budgeting, organization, and documentation. It also shows your ability to manage risk and think critically.
With a project management certification, you can work in any field or industry. You can get a job as an event planner, engineering manager, marketing manager, social media manager, and more.
How Do I Earn A Project Management Certification?
Getting a project management certification is easy, it just involves a few steps. Some steps involved include:
- Researching for project management certifications you’re interested in.
- Finding eligible and recognized educational platforms that teach the courses either online or in an educational facility.
- Registering for any course of your choice and selecting your mode of learning.
- Purchasing and downloading lots of resources to aid your reading.
- Apply for, write the exams, tests, or assessments, and complete them. You can also keep trying even if you fail.
- Bag your certification and start working as a certified professional project manager in any firm of your choice.
What Are The Top Project Management Certifications
There are lots of project management certifications you can select from and some might be expensive or time-consuming but this depends on the project management certification you’re interested in earning.
Deciding on which project management certification to earn might be a bit complicated however I’ll help you out by listing and explaining the top 15 project management certifications you can choose from to aid your decision.
- Project Management Professional
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM)
- Certified Associate In Project Management (CAPM)
- CompTIA Project+ Certification
- Certified Project Management Practitioner (CPMP)
- Associate In Project Management (APM)
- PRINCE2 Foundation/Practitioner
- Master Project Manager (MPM)
- Project Management In IT Security
- Certified Project Director (CPD)
- Agile Certified Professional (ACP)
- Certified Six Sigma Green Belt Certification (CSSGBC)
- Professional In Project Management (PPM)
- Certified Project Manager (CPM) (IAPM)
- Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB)
1. Project Management Professional (PMP)
The project management professional certification is a very important step in your career as a project manager.
It is one of the most internationally recognized project management certifications, though the processes in earning it are complicated because of the various complex topics you’ll be learning. You can register online at the Project Management Institute
You’re required to meet some prerequisites before being eligible to sit for the exam, to register you need:
- High school diploma, Associate’s degree, or its global equivalent
Minimum of 5 years professional project management experience
35 hours of formal project management education, PMA’s PMP training program should approve it.
- Minimum of 3 years experience managing projects
35 hours of formal project management education, PMA’s PMP training program should approve it.
It cost $139 to become a member. Cost for taking the exam:
- Members – $405
- Non-members – $555
2. Certified ScrumMaster (CSM)
More IT industries are implementing the use of the agile approach and this has led a lot of experts to look for certifications that will help them become ScrumMasters.
The scrum approach is a framework that uses cross-functional teams to deliver products and services in short cycles.
This project management certification 2-day course where you’ll be taught agile, basics of scrum, including the fundamentals associated with its framework as well as its ceremonies, artifacts, and roles.
You can access the course at the Project Management Academy. You can also find the course on ScrumAlliance which is one of the internationally recognized organizations that promoted the use of agile in the IT industry. Requirements to get this certification include:
- General knowledge of Scrum
Attend an in-person or virtual CSM course
Ace the CSM exam, accept the License Agreement, and complete your membership profile.
Cost : $995 – $1400
3. Certified Associate In Project Management (CAPM)
Certified Associate In Project Management certification is the best certification to get if you want to validate your skills in the industry.
With it, you’ll be able to show that you understand the fundamental knowledge of project management, the steps involved in effective project management, and the terms involved.
It doesn’t matter if you’re just about to start a career in project management or if you’re looking to enhance your skills, this project management certification will make you stand out amongst your peers as well as validate your credibility working with a project team.
The exam lasts for 3hours and you’ll be answering 150 multiple-choice questions. The certification lasts for 5 years from the day you were certified. The certification is issued by the Project Management Institution
- High school diploma or its global equivalent.
23 hours of project management course completed before you sit for the exam
Project Management Institution (PMI) price:
4. CompTIA Project+ Certification
CompTIA Project+ CompTIA Project+ provides business professionals in any field or industry with the fundamental knowledge to successfully small to medium-sized projects. It is the best entry-level project management certification for people will little experience.
The certification will give you the skills and knowledge you need to manage the project life cycle, ensure effective communication, and manage resources and stakeholders.
You’ll be taught skills like project tools and documentation, communication and change management, etc.
The exam has 95 multiple-choice questions which will last for 90 minutes.
- Effective management of resources and stakeholders
Cost: $285 – $395
5. Certified Project Management Practitioner (CPMP)
This is a great project management certification that is project managers or people who want to receive hands-on training in project management and learn about the various tools and techniques to improve your project management skills in real life.
They designed the course to help you develop technical, management, and leadership skills to help you successfully undertake any project your given. One institution you can find this course is the EC Council.
- You don’t require any previous skills for this program but you must attend a 3 days preparation course.
6. Associate In Project Management (APM)
Associate In Project Management is an internationally recognized credential that proves you have the necessary knowledge in the industry.
It is an entry-level certification that shows your commitment to successfully handling projects. The course lasts for 15-20 hours. The exam comprises 50 multiple-choice questions which will be written virtually for 1 hour.
The certification is might for people with little or basic knowledge of project management, working in a project field, who need the knowledge to pass the exam, and want a globally recognized project management certification.
You can get more information about the certification here.
7. PRINCE2 Foundation/PRINCE2 Practitioner
PRINCE2 is also a globally recognized project management certification that is highly accepted in the project field.
Meanwhle, PRINCE2 means Projects In Controlled Environment. The certification will help you become a successful project manager.
Here you’ll be getting the two certifications which are PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner. AXELOS is the accrediting body in charge of the certification.
The certification lasts for 1 year but it also depends on your mode of learning or the educational platform you’re using.
PRINCE2 Foundation will help you understand the key concepts relating to project management, how principles affect the PRINCE2 method, the themes and how they are applied, and the processes involved.
PRINCE2 Practitioner is all about practicing and applying what you learned in PRINCE2 Foundation.
- For PRINCE2 Foundation, you only need basic knowledge of project management
However, to qualify for PRINCE2 Practitioner you need one of these:
- Certification Associate In Project Management (CAPM)
- IPMA level A (Certified Projects Director)
- IPMA level B (Certified Senior Project Manager)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- IPMA level C (Certified Project Manager)
- IPMA level D (Certified Project Management Associate)
8. Master Project Manager (MPM)
The American Academy of Project Management (AAPM issues master Project Manager). They gave the certification to people who meet the commission’s requirements of training, education, ethics, experience, continuing education, and industry knowledge.
This certification is not meant for only project managers but anyone interested in getting the certification.
Also, the certification is meant for college-educated professionals who manage teams, employees, and departments.
- 3 years training and experience in project management
Fee discounts or waivers are available for experts with a master’s degree, other qualified training and experience, military, and protect management instructors.
9. Project Management In IT Security
The EC Council provides this project management certification. The course is designed for project managers interested in getting knowledge on how to plan, monitor, and control IT security-related projects.
This certification aims to add value to experience security professionals by helping them analyze the outcome of their projects.
The certification will guide you to build your project management style into one that will help you successfully manage teams that work on IT security.
You can get more information on this certification from the National Initiative For Cyber Security Careers and Studies. (NICCS)
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in IT security
Educational background that has to do with security-related higher education
You have the choice to attend EC Council’s training before the exam
10. Certified Project Director (CPD)
Certified Project Director is an internationally recognized project management certification issued by the Global Association For Quality Management.
It is one of the prestigious certifications designed for experienced and senior project managers who aim to go higher in their fields.
The project management certification allows you to gain new skills and advanced techniques in managing and controlling today’s complex project challenges.
- Best 10 High Income Skills that Can Make You a Millionaire (10.2)
- Learn How to Apply for a Job on LinkedIn (8.5)
- Top 15 Jobs You Don’t Want To Wear Clothes For (5.9)
- 6 Best Tips for Saving Money on Labor Costs (5.9)
The e-course duration is 20-25 hours and the exam will last for 80 minutes comprising 100 multiple-choice questions all done virtually.
- The certification requires a mandatory e-course completion
Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree, or its global equivalent.
One of these certifications
- Professional In Project Management Certifications from Global Association For Quality Management
Project Management Professional Certification from Project Management Institute
PRINCE2 Practitioner from APMG
Certified Project Manager from Global Association For Quality Management
Cost: E-course registration (Premium package) $280 and exam voucher $210.
11. Agile Certified Professional (ACP)
The Agile Certified Professional is a project management certification that tests your skills with agile principles and techniques.
The Project Management Institute’s Agile certification is for anyone who works on an agile team or if your team is planning on adopting the agile approach. The exam has 120 multiple-choice questions to be completed in 3 hours.
To main your certification, you must get 30 professional development units (PDUs) in agile topic every three years.
- High school degree or its equivalent
- Prior experience with Agile teams or organization
- 21 contact hours of training in agile practices12 months of general project experience within the last 5 years
- 8 months of general project experience within the last 3 years
- Members: $435
- Non-members: $495
12. Professional In Project Management (PPM)
They designed the Professional In Project Management certification to teach you how to plan, execute, control, and complete projects.
The certification shows your commitment to project management. The Global Association For Quality Management is in charge of this certification. It teaches you how to develop project measures, schedules, and various approaches to leading and managing projects.
- Some basic project management experience
- Mandatory e-course completion
Price: E-course version $340, exam voucher $210
13. Certified Six Sigma Green Belt Certification (CSSGBC)
The American Society issues the Certified Six Sigma Green Belt project management certification for Quality.
It is one of the most important certifications among all the other Certified Six Sigma Black Belt certifications.
Basically, the program helps you improve and develop your skills as a project manager. The certification verifies that you’re knowledgeable at project planning, process analysis, performance management, and resources management.
The exam comprises 110 questions to be answered in under 4 hours, 18 minutes.
- You must have worked in a full-time paid job
At least 3 years experience dealing with six sigma projects
- ASQ members: $338
- Non-members: $438
- Retakes: $238
14. Certified Project Manager (CPM)
Certified Project Manager is a globally recognized project management certification issued by the International Association of Project Managers. It is designed for people with basic knowledge of project management.
The certification will also teach you how to manage and implement projects effectively.
- There are no requirements but they offer workshops for self-study
- There’s a self-test you can take to test your skills before the exam
- Score 65% to pass the exam
Cost: The cost depends on your nationality. For the US it is $523
15. Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB)
A Certified Six Sigma Black Belt is a global certification that is issued by the American Society for Quality.
A certified Six Sigma Black Belt should understand team dynamics, demonstrate team leadership, assign team members roles and responsibilities.
The certification is valid for 3 years but you’ll have to get 18 certifications before you can acquire this one.
- Must have worked in a full-time paid job as a project manager
Completion of a minimum of 2 different types of projects before
Past project affidavits to showcase your work
- ASQ members: $438
- Non-members: $538
1. Can anyone earn a project management certification?
Yes, not only project managers, but anyone interested in learning and gaining more skills in planning and managing projects.
No, project management certification can be used in any business or organization that works with projects.
What are the benefits of project management certifications?
Apart from the international recognition it brings, you’ll also get a higher salary, a higher performance output, and career advancement.
What is the average salary of a project manager?
The average salary of a project manager in the USA is $74133 per year. It could also be higher.
A project manager needs all the skills available to successfully handle any project. To be a professional project manager, you’ll need to constantly update your skills to be updated with the trends in the industry.
Project managers can work in any field, not just IT-related jobs. These project management certifications will help you acquire more knowledge and expertise needed to start or advance your career, so enroll in one of them and start your journey to greater achievements.